Top Ten Albums of 2009 Pt. II (Urban Assault Vehicle)
Similar to my other best of 2009 list, the hip-hop/mixtape game is so saturated it is impossible to keep up with everything. My theory is I acknowledge more “official” mixtapes and try to avoid any garbage, but it’s hard to keep a filter on some of this stuff. I feel like this list might be a lacking a little more than the other as far as exposure goes because I sometimes get to slacking on keeping up with all this nonsense. Oh well, here goes:
1) Mos Def – The Ecstatic – Back in full form, dressed to the nines, straight killing it all over the globe.
2) Brother Ali – Us / Truth is Here EP – The Street Preacher keeps preaching with a dope EP and LP. Keep reppin’ the Midwest Brotherman.
3) Drake – So Far Gone – Sure, by now it’s played out but when this was released in February, this was the best shit in the game for a long while.
4) Raekwon – Only Built for Cuban Linx II – Hopefully we don’t have to wait as long for OBFCLIII. Sporting the apron and cooking up another classic.
5) Lupe Fiasco – Enemy of the State: A Love Story – Best lyricist in the game, hands down and this tape will convince any non-believers.
6) Slaughterhouse – Slaughterhouse – Voltron. Enough said.
7) Jay-Z – The Blueprint 3 – Not without its faults, but how can you deny Hova? Still on his A-game.
8 ) Kid Cudi – Man on the Moon – This was release was hurt by the hype on my end, and I still have to skip about half the tracks unless I am really feeling it. Luckily, the dope tracks make up for the disappointment tenfold.
9) Donnis – Diary of an ATL Brave – Don’t sleep on this tape, 10 Deep knows how to pick ’em and Underdog was one of the best hip-hop tracks of the year.
10) P.O.S. – Never Better – Avant garde extraordinaire comes correct one more time. One of the best live shows I’ve ever seen as well.
Wale – Attention Deficit
Mike Posner – One Foot Out the Door
Rick Ross – Deeper Than Rap
Blakroc – Blakroc
Curren$y & Wiz Khalifa – How Fly