Zack Greinke has an evil twin pitching for the Arizona Diamondbacks named ZACK KROENKE! I bet he is completely sane, but a really bad pitcher.
Zack Greinke has been voted the 2009 American League Cy Young Award Winner!!! He received 25 of the 28 first place votes. 2012 World Series, here we come.
…or ten more things. The top 10 Zack Greinke quotes to go along with his Cy Young this year.
10. “I could hit me if someone were on base. It wouldn’t be easy, but I could do it. If no one were on base, I wouldn’t care as much, so I could get me out.”
9. Upon hearing then-GM Allard Baird was going to watch him throw: “And you’re gonna be impressed,”
8. “I’d say the average person wouldn’t eat a Chipotle burrito and still do his running, full speed, like me. That’s why the call me special.”
7. “I was giving Brian Bannister all the credit for being the best-hitting pitcher on the team, until today. Now, I’ve got my confidence back. They’re throwing me sliders, and it doesn’t matter.”
6. “For the first month of the season, (Billy Butler) has definitely been an above-average first baseman. That’s hard for me to say because I never thought anyone would say that but him and his family.”
5. Two years ago, with Alex Gordon struggling, Greinke pulled him into the video room to show him a clip of Greinke hitting his home run. “In case you forgot,” Greinke said, “this is what a home run looks like.”
4. “Nice effort by the defense. They didn’t get tired of running after balls to the wall. I was pretty impressed by that.”
3. To Jeremy Affeldt after Affeldt gave up a homer on what he thought was a good pitch. “Really, I went back to the clubhouse and looked at the pitch on video. It was a really bad pitch. Right over the middle of the plate, and you got it up. I mean it was a bad pitch.”
Affeldt: “Thanks, Zack.”
Zack: “Right down the middle. I could have hit it out.”
Affeldt: “Thanks, Zack.”
2. On making the Sports Illustrated cover: “There’s a lot more interesting stuff going on right now. They should have something else on the cover. Playoff basketball or something else. So it’s a mistake. They’ll probably sell their least amount of magazines in a long time — except when NASCAR was on the cover.”
1. On hoping President Obama would cuss him out at the All-Star game: “Because none of the White Sox guys like me. So I was hoping that he’d recognize me and be like, ‘You punk, I hate you.’ But he didn’t do that.”
As the Royals face the Yankees midweek in a three game series, Zack Greinke had the pleasure of sitting down and answering a few questions from some of New York’s finest media members. One question and its subsequent answer in particular made me giddy like a schoolyard hooligan.
“You’ve had great success this year, but you look across (that diamond) at this team, and they’re getting ready to go to the playoffs. Do you ever think, ‘I’d take less personal success to be able to pitch in the playoffs?’ ”
Greinke’s response was immediate.
“Yeah, definitely,” he said. “But I don’t want to pitch for New York in the playoffs. I want to pitch for Kansas City in the playoffs. It would definitely be a lot better being in the playoffs than not. That’s all you ever play for.”
Every once in a while I’ll make a sports related post, and today is one of those times. If Zack Greinke does not win the Cy Young, it will be an outrage. A TONY HARRISON OUTRAGE!
Young Greinke could either be a combination of both Cy Young and Zack Greinke’s last names, or Zack’s MC name, should he ever take up rhyming.
I’ve compiled a random assortment of facts and information from various sportswriters and bloggers. If these stats do not cause every single person to see the light, then there is no hope for humanity.
Pitcher W/L ERA SO HR BA QS% GMSC
Greinke 15-8 2.08 229 11 .228 .806 63.90
Hernandez 16-5 2.45 196 14 .229 .839 60.74
Sabathia 18-7 3.31 186 18 .232 .625 57.84
Lester 14-7 3.33 215 19 .240 .733 57.83
LAST 6 GAMES
Pitcher W/L ERA SO HR BA QS% GMSC
Greinke 4-0 0.63 47 1 .155 5-6 74.2
Hernandez 4-1 1.64 29 2 .209 6-6 63.8
Sabathia 4-0 2.16 46 1 .227 6-6 63.2
Lester 5-0 1.94 39 4 .201 6-6 65.2
The stats are easy enough to look up, and they make an air-tight case on their own: first in ERA (2.08)*, WHIP (1.06), shutouts (three), batting average against (.228), on-base percentage against (.272) and OPS against (.608)**; second in strikeouts (229), strikeouts per walks (4.87), quality starts and complete games (six); and, of course, dead last in run support (4.72) while pitching in front of the league’s second-worst defense (the White Sox have one more error, and recently nudged below the Royals by 0.1 in UZR) and worst bullpen.
Fun Fact: Some think Zack’s candidacy is built on his preposterously good start, but he’s now given up one earned run in his last 35 innings and actually has a lower ERA since the All-Star break (2.02) than before (2.12).
Fun Fact: Some think Zack has pitched against too many bad teams, but he’s made fewer starts and pitched fewer innings against last-place teams than CC Sabathia. Actually, and maybe this is the money quote, take away wins against last-place teams and Sabathia and Greinke are tied at 11. Also, Greinke doesn’t get to pitch AGAINST the Royals.
Fun Fact: Some question how Zack does against good teams, but he’s now 6-4 with a 1.23 ERA and 101 strikeouts in 95 innings against the AL’s winning teams. Sabathia is 7-6 with a 3.42 ERA and 107 strikeouts in 108 innings against the AL’s winning teams.
Here are all the pitchers in baseball history who have had 210-210-210 blackjack season. That would be 210 innings, 210 strikeouts, 210 ERA+.
Pedro Martinez, three times (1997, 1999, 2000)
Walter Johnson, twice (1912 and 1913)
Roger Clemens, 1997
Dwight Gooden, 1985
Bob Gibson, 1968
Pete Alexander, 1915
Based on some quick math, it looks like if he throws 10 scoreless innings in his final two starts, he will have an ERA below 2.00. He could also give up one run in 14 innings and drop that ERA to 1.99.
Greinke’s ERA in losses & no-decisions is 3.23. Sabathia’s overall ERA is 3.31
Thank you to Mellinger, Posnanski, Jazayerli and anyone I missed who produced these stat nuggets.